Thursday, October 10, 2013

Community Service Activities

Each month the McNair Travel Club participates in various Community Service Projects around Atlanta. The purpose is to promote civic responsibility, increase personal growth, and prepare for our international excursion to Peru, South America which includes community service.  The following is a sample of a few activities past, present & future:


1. Gateway Homeless Shelter:  Deliver toiletries & school supplies to the Gateway Homeless Shelter on Pryor Street.

2. Beep Baseball:  Assist the Center for Visually Impaired at Coan Recreation Center with a baseball game. Click Here for Center for Visually Impaired

3. 3rd Annual Fit 4 Lit 5K Run/Walk: Help Communities in Schools with registration & course or participate.

4. Hank Stewart Foundation:  Participate in the Youth Financial Planning Workshop at the Auburn Research Library. Click Here for Hank Stewart Foundation

5. Atlanta Contact Point:  Join numerous sports to get fit and learn better nutrition alternatives. Click Here for Atlanta Contact Point

6. Hands On Atlanta Day: Restore & renew Atwood Community Garden.  Pull weeds, lay mulch & tend to the garden. Click Here for Hands On Atlanta

7. Covington Horse Stables:  Clean stalls, restore grounds, maintain horses & ride the horses.

8. College Tours:  Tour Clemson University, Alabama State, Auburn & Tuskegee with Fountain of Hope.

9. Meals for Seniors:  Help pack & deliver meals for seniors. Click Here for Senior Connection

10. Homeless Youth:  Facilitate a class, prepare meals, host a drive for Homeless Youth age 18 to 21 at the Covenant House.  Click Here for the Covenant House

11. Camp Toccoa Work Weekend:  Work outdoors to maintain the facility & trails (overnight trip). Click Here for Camp Toccoa

12. Teacher Appreciation Day: Submit pictures & stories about teachers who inspire you, and help a teacher after school. Click Here to Submit pictures or stories or Click Here for Grants

The following are pictures from various activities


































4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, looks like you all had a lot of fun and much bonding time. I am definitely attending next time!

Sleepynico said...

I went to the let’s play last Saturday in October 19, 2013. My nephew and I went with Ms. Hastie where it’s at was Miller Grove middle is the location where everybody meet at. I experience joy and building new bonds to have outside McNair high school. It’s was very positive thing event that actually change the way I take care of my own body. Plus, I forget to mending its very challenging I think this can help me a long time. The activity they have me and my nephew is fun and hard working for example mostly the events base on timing and how fast. Lastly, the event helps me building confidence in myself and increases my independents.

Anonymous said...

My Trip to Clemson University

By Tahj Thomas



I am in the McNair Travel Club and on November 2, 2013, I attended my first college tour with the travel club. We visited Clemson University in South Carolina. Clemson University was a great place to go and learn things we never knew about the school.

At Clemson we toured the campus and the tour guides showed us where different things are like the dorms, cafeterias, and classrooms. The tour guides will show you where classes are in technology or any other subject you would like to study. If you ask them a question, they will give you the best information. Clemson University has plenty that you would be interested in.

What I like was that they had everything you would need for your classes and being able to meet new people when you first get there. I would like to attend Clemson when I graduate because I feel they would help me with my education and make me feel comfortable. There are opportunities to meet new people every day.

All in all, I want to start visiting different colleges so that if I want to go to college, I would know what I need to work on to attend. I would like to thank Ms. Hastie for bringing me on this tour.

Noreena Hood said...

My experience with working the the georgia dome has been a great & challenging experience. It was fun to see all the different people there to watch the footbball game. Some of the people were friendly and some were very difficult to talk to. Working at the games was also a little bit tiring but, I fought through it a nd had fun anyway. I would highly recommend students to join the Travel Club and work at the Dome. It's very fun and exciting.